Tuesday, March 11, 2008
My tribute to Dwight
I have never really had anyone die that I knew well enough to cry about. But last night a great man, Dwight Laws, passed away after years of battling cancer. Dwight was my dad's cousin. He was the head of independent study at BYU, so since I came to Provo I would periodically visit him and get to know him. He tried to help me get an editing job in his department and he and his wife, Linda, gave me a ride to Blanding, in the back of their Jeep Wrangler, for a Laws family reunion. Dwight was a man who inspired me. He wrote a variety of books realting the stories of our ancestors. He and I would often discuss family history and he encouraged me to write my own books. When I went to England and found the home of our ancestors I don't think anybody appreciated it more than Dwight. He was a very good man, and I admired him. He did cool things like travel the world on his motorcycle. I send this out into the void to tell Dwight all that I've said. I don't think he ever knew that I thought he was such a great guy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment